Feb 4, 2009

Feb 4 - Daily Journal

Wt: 239.8

Total Points: 21.5

Still not feeling great today, but tons better than yesterday. I think part of my feeling so crappy is related to caffeine withdrawal. I've really cut back on the coffee, tea and diet coke I was drinking. Good thing is, I know from past experience, this only lasts 2-3 days and then it's over...so hopefully tomorrow will be an even better day.

I got the idea from another blog to try one new vegetable a week. Because I am following the G.I. Diet for 13 weeks, it will be a "green light" vegetable. Although I love most vegetables, there are a few I've never eaten and some I just hate. This week I'm going to try eggplant and I thought a good way to start would be in a roasted vegetable soup. I'm going to roast eggplant, tomatoes, red peppers, onions and zucchini with some herbs and a little olive oil and when they are all soft, puree them and add non fat chicken stock to make a soup consistency. I love any kind of soup and this would be a good way to get in more vegetables. I bought two huge eggplants so it will mostly be eggplant and tomato with the other veggies to round out the flavours. I will also try eggplant parmigiana over the weekend - something that was a staple in my Italian home when I was growing up, but I remember as soggy, fatty and bitter tasting...perhaps its time to look at it again or maybe just taste it again. I have found as I've gotten older that my palate also matured and foods I didn't like when I was younger, have some appeal now.

Anyway, I will let you know in a few days how my roasted veg soup and eggplant parmigiana came out.

On a not so funny side note, my husband has lost 12 lbs in the last two weeks. He's a typical 40-something guy with a beer belly (although he doesn't drink!) so its really noticeable in his stomach that he's lost weight. The not so funny part is that I'm the one who is planning meals, grocery shopping and cooking and he is the one losing the most weight! I know guys generally lose more than woman, but it still doesn't seem fair somehow, does it?

We've also not eaten takeout or restaurant food for over two weeks. I thought our sons would be complaining, but they have actually started asking "whats for dinner tomorrow mom?" and although we've had a few flops - the oven baked veal cutlets didn't work out so well and a few other "mishaps" - they've enjoyed the meals.

Since I was always working and Den was home earlier, he would cook most of the time and I would do special weekend meals or we'd eat out or order in. I haven't cooked this much since the boys were really little..I hope I can keep it up when I return to work. The incentive is that cooking at home is a lot cheaper, I can't believe how much money we haven't spent on takeout/restaurants! It seems like more when you go to the grocery store and have to shell out all the cash at once, but over the long run, it is definitely more economical.

Breakfast: 4 points
1 pkg Weight Control Oatmeal - cinnamon
1/2 cup skim milk

Lunch: 3.5 points
1 slice whole wheat bread
3/4 oz old cheddar cheese
1 tomato
1/2 cup GI Diet coleslaw (delicious!)

Snack: 1 pt
100 g Astro Zero yogurt

Dinner: 10 pts
3 oz roast chicken breast, no skin
6 oz steamed new potatoes
2 cups green salad with olives and homemade croutons and fat free dressing

Snack: 3 pts
1 slice berry pie (graham cracker crust on bottom only) and 1/2 cup fat free coolwhip

No comments:

Post a Comment