Jul 10, 2012

Day 8 - Whole 30

One quarter of the way there!


My laptop works again. I am so happy, I missed it. I thought I didn't use it much anymore, but when I couldn't then I realized how much I do.


Today's eats:


Breakfast: whey protein powder with light coconut milk and water; iced coffee with light coconut milk


Lunch: @Milestones - grilled chicken breast; steamed vegetables (again even though I asked for no sauce on the chicken it was brushed with something so I scraped it all off and could not taste it so I think I got it all off)


Snack: apple; 10 almonds


Dinner: 2 Natural brand hotdogs, yellow mustard, fried onions (I know I needed to have real vegetables and lots of them, but really did not feel like eating at all!)


No appetite again after lunch today, hence the very light dinner. These hotdogs are "Natural" brand, no added sugar or nitrates - just salt, garlic, beef and vinegar- all of which are Whole 30 allowed. I had such a craving for Coke Zero today and soda water wasn't hitting it, but I powered through and did not give in. My goal is to have zero processed proteins and I managed that for the first seven days but if this is going to be successful for me for 30 days, with my dislike of meat, I need to improvise; which means my protein powder shakes for breakfast and occasional processed meats that don't have nitrate or sugar added.  It might not be 100% Whole30 approved but it is still way closer than I was eating before and I have not broken any of the major rules.


Last night was another night when I was falling asleep by 830 and was in bed and fast asleep by 9. And I'm not even running / exercising like normal right now and I am this tired. But it's a different kind of tired, its a real physical, I want to sleep, tiredness and then I do sleep.


Sometimes when I feel so tired like this, I actually can't sleep because my mind is so wired and my body hurts, but I'm not experiencing that this past week, I'm truly tired and I sleep well - this is a huge improvement!


I'm still waiting for the "amazing" feeling to be consistent but it's only been a week.


My two restaurant dinners for this week have been rescheduled which, I admit, is a bit of a relief, so I only had to navigate lunch today and I am home free for over a week. Restaurants are challenging, but not impossible. I have tried to order the simplest thing on the menu and then make it simpler with no sauce/seasonings etc...but the last two days it didn't quite go as planned, but it was doable. 


Stomach issues are getting better each day.


I want to spend some time in the next few days looking up new meal ideas, just different combinations of meat/veg that I haven't tried yet. I'm thinking of doing a bolognese sauce over zucchini noodles on Thursday night to satisfy my Italian roots. I've had zucchini noodles before but as part of a stir fry, so this will be an interesting way to try them differently. I once tried the spaghetti squash as spaghetti noodles and I didn't like it, but zucchini, as a vegetable flavour profile, fits better into in an Italian meal, I think.


I am loving, loving my iced coffee. 


As an aside, I just read about the death of Anthony Sedlak - he is one of my favourite Food Network stars. Such a sad thing when someone so young and talented dies.

1 comment: