Jul 28, 2012

Some stuff goin' on

I have not become a hermit, I promise.

Like I said in my last post, I'm working on a project that is preoccupying my time but it should mostly wrap up this week and I promise to tell you all about it then.

Since about April, life has been throwing me curveballs and I keep catching them and throwing them back. To be honest, I'm getting tired and need a break from the game but the  balls keep coming and there's no end in sight.

I haven't talked about a lot of these issues on my blog because I really do try and keep it as health/fitness related as possible and keep my personal stuff out of it...but the personal stuff definitely affects the health/fitness stuff one way or the other, doesn't it?

About two years ago I got a job with an organization that is managing a 15 year, 9 billion dollar transportation project. Over the last year, the political situation around the project has changed significantly and my organization is no longer managing this project as of the end of September. So that means, as of the end of September, most of us who were hired for this project will be unemployed. I, along with almost everyone else, received their notice this past week and although I had been looking for a new job for a few months, I now need to kick that effort into overdrive. Two months is not a lot of time. I'm not in a situation where I can afford to be not working.

Simultaneously, I'm trying to find a less expensive apartment. Our apartment is nice but is on the higher scale of rent for this area and if I do not find a job right away, this rent is going to be difficult to afford, even if I do find another job it may not pay as well as the one I have now - either way, it would be prudent to cut my expenses as much as possible.

I am still walking every day and running 2-3 times a week by myself. It's hard to keep up and my motivation to run alone requires constant refuelling. I'd like to get back up to 4 times a week but when I get home from work these days my first priority is looking for a new job and I'm sure you know that is almost a full time job in itself!

Thankfully Liam is on summer break so he only requires feeding and watering (j/k - he's pretty self sufficient).

I am doing ok with food and trying hard to stay on an even emotional keel through this.

Eventually, everything works out for the best - it just takes some time to see that :)

5 comments:

  1. Was wondering where you'd been! There's an online thing called meetup.com, don't know if they are where you are, but you can use it to find people who share your interests and form groups. Also, I know some of the small independent athletic stores here have formed loosely-organized running clubs who get together on Saturday mornings for short (<5K) runs around the area. I myself very much prefer to run alone but I bet there are many people like you who'd like a buddy for motivation and company; you'd probably have no trouble finding people!

    As for curveballs...hit'em outta the park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you received your notice this week. That really sucks...but I know with your positive attitude you will find a great new position.

    I am sending you all the positive vibes I have...I understand how life can get in the way of all the other stuff we need to focus on.

    I admire you for sticking to the running...hopefully that helps relieve some of the stress.

    Hugs to you Enz.

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your job search. I think it's extremely amazing that you have been sticking to exercising and mindful eating. It's easy to put health and exercise on the backburner when things get heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is hard sometimes, and the game definitely never stops!! Fingers crossed that you will find a job and new apartment asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, Job searching really stinks. I hope you find something good soon.

    ReplyDelete