1. I love food.
I love to cook. Seriously, I love to pore over recipes and look at pictures and then make some delicious new creation. Funnily enough, before I started to try and lose weight (this time) I wasn't cooking very much - alot of processed foods, alot of take out, alot of eating out. Now I am cooking every day and making delicious meals my whole family is enjoying (and hubby losing weight without even trying!). I've also come up with a few tricks to make it easier, I meal plan around the sale flyers on Friday night - so I'm also saving some money and not buying stuff that sits in the fridge going bad because I never get around to cooking it. I spend about an an hour-an hour and half on Sunday afternoon chopping/slicing/grating vegetables and cheese so when I need to throw my lunch together in the evening, it's easy to choose healthy foods and make a delicious lunch.
2. Eat well today.
I only need to focus on eating well today. I can meal plan for tomorrow but I have no idea what will happen or how I will feel. If I eat well today, it's one more day towards a longer life and a healthier, happier me.
3. The 80/20 rule.
In his book, The G.I. Diet, the author Rick Gallop talks about eating well 80% of the time. If we do that, we have 20% room to enjoy high calorie, non nutritional foods and to "slip up" without beating ourselves up and giving up. He advocates aiming for 80% perfection and the other 20% will take care of itself. I like this theory. There's 21 meals a week and 14 snacks..so that means if I eat 17 healthy, nutritious meals a week, I can splurge a little on the other 4. Thats one meal every other day.
4. I am accountable only to me.
I am not doing this for the scale, for someone at WW meeting to write into a little book, for my family or my husband or my great doctors. I am doing this for me and only me. Only I can make the choice what food goes into my mouth and how often. No one can "make" me eat something I don't want to and no one can make me stay on track. Only me. If I choose to eat chocolate cake for dinner - it's my choice and I will deal with the consequences. But I must never forget I always have a choice and it's mine alone.
5. Support helps.
It helps to read blogs of other women going thru the same journey. Maybe along a different path, but with the same goal in sight. It helps to know I'm not alone, and it's humbling to know I'm not the only one with these problems. Books and articles on nutrition and healthy eating reaffirm and give me confidence that I'm heading in the right direction.
6. I can't do everything all the time.
Sometimes, there are not enough hours in the day. Sometimes, some things are not going to get done. It's ok to let the dishes sit in the sink over night, it's ok to eat a prepared, portion controlled frozen dinner rather than eat half a pizza because I'm too tired to cook. It's ok to have yogurt and fruit for lunch.
7. Food is fuel for the body and a pleasure.
Knowing the difference is the key. I am not eating ice cream because I'm hungry - but because I love the taste and the texture. And that's ok. When I need to eat to fuel my body, I have to remember to choose healthy, fuel efficient foods that will make me strong and healthy.
8. I hate oatmeal.
Yes I do. I know its heart healthy, I know its good for me. I hate the texture, I hate the way it feels going down my throat, I hate the way it looks in the bowl. I've tried instant, slow cooking , quick cooking, rolled oats, steel cut oats, flavoured and plain. I still hate it. I eat once or twice a week because I know its good for me and its a quick easy breakfast. But I do not enjoy it, not one bit!
9. This is never going to end.
Even when I get to my goal weight, I am going to have to watch what I eat. I am going to have to think carefully about food, I am going to have to monitor my weight. This is for the rest of my life. I won't wake up one day at 135lbs and suddenly say, "Hey I can eat a whole pizza again".
10. It's not all about me.
I don't live in a bubble. I live with a husband and two, healthy, growing boys. I come from a family and heritage that uses food as a comfort, a social activity and way of showing love. None of these things are going to change. All I can change is how I react and behave in situations. The 80/20 rule will help alot with this one. If I go to someone's home for dinner and they have made fried veal parmigiana, smothered in cheese and fried mushrooms and homemade, high fat pasta because they are having guests - I will eat a moderate portion and enjoy it. I will not resent my host/hostess for serving food "I can't eat", and I will not only eat salad (which will be covered in olive oil anyway!).
When its a birthday, I will have a moderate slice of cake and enjoy it and send best wishes and love to the birthday-recipient.
I will enjoythe food and the company and most of all, be grateful, that I have people in my life that I can share meals with.