Pages

Mar 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Liam!

My baby boy turned 15 today. Somehow, he’s grown into a sensitive, witty, clever young man….when did this happen?

His favourite restaurant is The Mandarin; a Chinese Buffet. We only go once a year, for his birthday, because it’s so expensive and it’s probably the least healthiest restaurant ever invented.

As the day grew closer, I started to form a plan for how I was going to handle this meal. I went over various scenarios, weighing the outcome of each – how would I feel emotionally, mentally and physically after each choice? Which choice was best? I decided to start with a big salad (greens, green onions and light salad dressing) and then have small portions of my favourite foods.  If I liked seafood, it would have been much easier in this restaurant – tons of fresh shrimp, grilled fish and seafood of all kinds – but I don’t so I chose small portions of what I do like knowing that I only go there once a year so it’s not going to be foods I eat again and again and it won’t derail me. I drank 10 glasses of water in the 90 min we were there to help flush the sodium.

Despite that, my carbs are really high today, although I did stay within my calorie budget. I will have to be extra diligent about carbs all week – but I know I can do it. We had a lovely time visiting with family and friends and laughed a lot. It was a great celebration for Liam.

image

My boys - Liam, Enz and Iain (Iain hates photos, hence the fake smile!)

image

Louisa (my gorgeous baby sis) and me

 

March 4, 2012 Goal Actual
Calories 1540 1385
WW Points Plus 26-29 29 + 4 WP
Carbs (net) <50 114
Fluids/Water 120 oz 136 oz

9 comments:

Sharon said...

My grandson's name is Liam!You are so consistent sticking to calories and such. I could learn a thing or 2 from you!!

Nanette said...

if carbs were the only thing over your goal... then you did well eating out! You had me drooling at seafood. :)

Happy birthday, Liam! You've got a very handsome family! :)

Kimberley said...

Happy Birthday Liam! Glad you were able to enjoy yourself at the Mandarin...I went a few weeks ago and all I ate was crab legs, crab legs, and more crab legs!

Have a great week!

Judy said...

My grandson's name is Liam too!! He just turned a year old a couple of weeks ago.
Happy birthday Enz's Liam!! What a great family, Enz... and thank you again for all the lovely comments on my blog. Your support is so appreciated. :)

illiterate said...

Oh my, your boys are SO tall! Hope Liam had a great birthday! Given your situation you did really good, you always manage to impress me and this post is no different. Way to keep in your calories :)

Chubby McGee said...

Awwwww! Happy Birthday, Liam! Have a great time celebrating. :)

Also...on age...you look like you're in your twenties. What the hell is your secret?!

Anne H said...

SOOOOOo glad you had a blast!
You look sooooo good - and young.

Beth said...

I like the way you thought out all the scenarios- it helped you be aware and prepared. Nice!

Good looking family you have there!

Rachael Heiner said...

Totally impressed at the planning and staying within points! Happy Birthday to your boy!

Post a Comment