Feb 15, 2010

Day 37 - The Beck Diet Solution

On Day 37, Beck focuses on reducing stress.

It seems a pretty simple concept that if you are stressed in your life, weight loss and fitness will help relieve some of the stress but it's not as easy as that is it?

Beck's suggestions for learning to reduce stress are:

  1. Solve the problem - if you have problems in your life that are preventing you from focusing on your weight loss, then work on fixing them so they are no longer barriers to your goals.  She has written alot about solving problems over the last few weeks so I'm not going to rehash it.
  2. Relax - Accept that you can't do everything 100% perfectly 100% of the time. Decide what's important and set your priorities.
  3. Change your mindset - If you can't fix the problem, change how you look at it,  this reminds me of the Serenity Prayer.
The biggest reminder for me, in this section, was that I have very little control over how other people think, feel or choose to act. I can only control how I react to other people and learning to react in ways that are not negative or harmful to myself will go a long way to achieving my own goals.

Totally unrelated to Beck, this is my 300th post!!!! I almost can't believe I've stuck to blogging this long and I have 69 followers...that is very cool :)

9 comments:

  1. Very cool indeed! Congrats on 300 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 posts!!! Wooohoooo!!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 300 posts :)

    I bought the Beck Diet Solution, but lent it to somebody... I must get it back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean, it's so cool having all these blogger friends around the world who I think actually care about my progress. Congrats on the 300 posts, that takes persistence in itslef. There are nights I don't feel like sitting down and writing, but I'm always glad I did once I get started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I'll be #71. I want to come back and read more about Beck. Congrats on 300!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 300 posts ! My how time flies...
    With stress, here is something that a friend once told me- it is funny and bratty, but it brings on a big belly laugh and stress goes away.
    1. Picture a stream
    2. Picture the person you are mad at
    3. See their face in the stream
    4 step on it and stand there till they stop breathing
    5. feel better ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a catch 22 situation...losing weight will reduce your stress, but being stressed will hinder your ability to lose weight.
    Fogdog Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your 300th post!

    I think it's great you almost finished the book, you're the first I hear who's doing this. Most of the people, including me, don't finish the book. But this kind of therapy is not my cup of tea so that's why I stopped.

    ReplyDelete