Dec 7, 2009

Day 6 - The Beck Diet Solution


On Day 6 Beck talks about having a "Diet Coach"; someone to turn to when I'm struggling and someone who can give me a fresh perspective on things when I seem to be stuck.

Funnily enough, all the reasons I came up with for not wanting one, she addresses in her self-sabotage paragraph. Is it really self-sabotage to not want a Diet Coach? I have been thinking about this since last night and I am still in two minds.

Beck does recommend using an internet community if there is no one in real life to turn to and I do have this blogging community and the Weight Watchers Online community, so do I need a real life, person to person Diet Coach?  To be honest, I don't really use the online communities for crisis management. I get incredible inspiration and great ideas from reading blogs and I love the support I get through comments left on my posts, but I don't know if I share enough with this type of community to get feedback that is really going to help me...after all, you all only know what I choose to tell you right?

Having someone real life may be a huge help, someone who knows my personal situation and loves me and wants what is best for me.

I've decided to ask my friend Shelley if she will be my Diet Coach.  I know she loves me and would do anything in her power to help me, she also has Type II diabetes so she understands that part of my struggle, she knows my home life and personality, and she struggles with her own weight issues so she can definitely relate to what I'm going through.

If she chooses not to , then I will rethink this.

Today I'm giving myself credit for:

  1. Thinking through this Diet Coach thing and not just dismissing it right away which was my first response.
  2. Eating sitting down, slowly and mindfully.
  3. Tracking everything today.
  4. Reading my response cards.

5 comments:

  1. Great work Enz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work and you're right, this community is great but it's only a piece of us and if your friend shares the medical knowledge too then that's great! hey, being covered both ends always a good thing, right?
    I love this, don't need the book, got you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check this book out-seems to be thought provoking at least-let me know how it works out for you-the coach I mean, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a total loser with my diet coach. I just could not embrace the concept. I didn't want to tell her when I was feeling low or bother her and plus I would get mad at her when she did her job! LOL! Like tell me to get out and run if I was feeling lazy. I just felt like saying "you go run if you're so excited about it!" Haha. Guess I'm just not coachable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a diet coach. I read that book, and I chose to ask on my blog when in need of help. The only problem with that is like right now, when I'm having some personal issues--I don't necessarily want to blog about a big fight with my husband and the anger and hurt I'm feeling. Yet I do not have anyone in real life to ask. I really don't.

    So I hope it works out with your friend, and if not, I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution.

    I smiled at the "You only know what I choose to tell you" comment. I think that all the time about blogs. =)

    ReplyDelete